from snow to spring

Hey, so hello again.

We were away for our March Break, holidaying on the shores of Lake Huron. We arrived in a snowstorm and left with the robins singing. Crazy.

Our van was crammed, the trailer was crammed, the rooftop was crammed... bit of a paradox while driving through Amish country, passing the small and simple carriages and horses. We stayed at my parents' log cabin with friends and Ashley, our respite worker.

We celebrated Janneke's second birthday on Monday, March 14. We made some fuss with a few gifts and the traditional birthday balloon. She loved to hit the balloon - so hard that we left it hanging in the ceiling of the cabin. Oops.

Here are a few photo highlights:

Both girls loved the fireplace.

Snowball Fight 2011 - boys vs. girls (with the Bulthuis family)

Nothing like a Tim's coffee by the fire...

I loved the way the kids played with Rachel and Janneke.

And it was great to have time to play games with everyone, even if it was the 1980s version of Life.

We explored the lake every day, marvelling at the incredible changes just a few days of thaw brings.

How to put out a bbq fire when the hose is rolled away until spring? A good ole' 60 cc syringe works great!

I paid two visits to Penny's Laundromat in Kincardine. Lovely women there who greeted me almost immediately - "Hey, it's the bib lady!" (22 bibs a day....).

And our sanity.... Ashley. Who stayed on top of the schedule, so we could read books, play games, and go for walks in the snow. She provided great music and extra room in her car for the stuff that didn't fit in the van/trailer/rooftop layout.

The journey home was quiet. Not because we didn't want to come home, but because we had time to talk and reflect once again on how many people we need to make a family holiday work. We also took home a nasty cold virus that Janneke seems to have gotten the worst of. I think holidays might be a bit easier for us to take in the summertime, with warmer weather and better health.

But, we did it. We got away from our regular routine. We enjoyed coffee that was not gulped on the run, we had a lovely visit with Aunt Jean, Aunt Marie and Uncle Dan (from Kenya to Kincardine!), and we made more memories. We regret that we didn't have room for more friends to share our week. : )

Now we are back into routine. After a visit to the doctor tomorrow, I am sure we will be back to full health soon. Rachel was quite excited to see her friends at preschool therapy, and the rest of the family was full of stories over supper tonight. Here's hoping for a couple of quiet weeks.